Why do I need a Licensed Surveyor?

You will need to engage a Licensed Surveyor:

  • to identify and mark on the ground the location of existing property boundaries - these types of survey are commonly referred to as Identification Surveys
  • to prepare and certify most plans of land division.

Examples of Identification Surveys include:

  • the replacement of lost or destroyed survey marks or pegs that define property corners
  • the definition and marking of boundaries for fencing or construction purposes.

In the case of the division of land, you will also require the services of a Licensed Surveyor to mark new boundary positions on the ground and in most circumstances to certify the plan of division.

Examples of surveys that require plan certification include:

  • the division of land into two Torrens title allotments in Designated Survey Areas of the State (this includes most areas of metropolitan Adelaide)
  • the division of land into more than two Torrens title allotments¬†
  • the division of land to create community titles or community strata titles
  • the realignment of existing property boundaries under certain circumstances.
Click here for more information about the land division process
Only surveyors who are currently registered as licensed surveyors with the Board can undertake cadastral surveys and certify cadastral documents. If a surveyor has changed his/her status from "practising" to "non-practising", then they are an unregistered surveyor and cannot certify amended cadastral survey documents as a licensed surveyor.